26 February, 2011

Paper baskets!

I came across zipper8design's woven basket (which was inspired by Nifty Thrifty Things) and had to try my hand at it.  It also fell right into my theme of recycling magazines currently - perfect!

It wasn't easy to do initially.  But once I got the idea of what was actually going on, I couldn't stop.  I ended up making 4 in 1 sitting.

I loved how it contained my sewing thread and needles altogether when I was doing my mending.  No more digging around for the spool that has rolled off the table!
The tot asked that I make one into a basket - which I happily obliged with my 1st trial version.  He carried it around, proclaiming that he was going to the market!
I made some modifications as I went along, using all the tips from Zipper8Design and Nifty Thrifty Things.  Nothing major but it helped me make the baskets with a bit more ease.
  1. I used magazine paper instead of newspaper - the paper weight is heavier so I folded the strips twice only and got it stiff enough.  When I folded it thrice, the paper was a bit too stiff and kept coming apart.  
  2. As the paper strip length was also shorter, I cut down the number of strips to 6x6.  When I tried anything more than that, I got a very shallow container and it was very difficult to keep the shape as the strips wouldn't catch well.
  3. I used 1 cm strips - the thinner the strips, the narrower the base of the basket and the taller the basket.
Hope this inspires you too!  Have fun!

Have a look here for more ideas on how to use up those magazines!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute... these would look great in a craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice creativity and want to try it too. Thanks for sharing. Check out my counting activities - http://blog.memetales.com/2011/03/counting-activities-kids-craft/

    ReplyDelete