10 October, 2011

One Bowl Brownies

I have a very sweet tooth.  Perhaps it's coz I was brought up by my grandmother who had an equally sweet tooth. But as the years go by, I'm starting to like my sweets less sweet.
I still remember being bewildered as a child why anyone would want to eat BITTER chocolate?  But now, I totally appreciate how the bitterness brings another dimension to the chocolate.  Brownies are no exception.

That day I decided to whip up a batch of brownies while waiting for the hubby to come home.  Coz these brownies are dead easy to bake and only really need 1 bowl (measuring cups and weighing scales not included!)

As usual, I assumed I had all the ingredients and started without checking.  Until I reached the point of - add the nuts.  The hubs had eaten us out of nuts in the entire house!

So I proceeded without any nuts and it was still great!

One-bowl Brownies
Ingredients

150 g bittersweet chocolate chopped
113 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 tbs Milo powder
200 g granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
95 g all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and place the rack in the center of the oven.
  2. Line bottom of tray with aluminium foil.
  3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a large stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. 
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the Milo powder and sugar.
  5. Whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Tips
  1. Make sure the equipment used to melt the chocolate is dry and avoid splashing water from the saucepan as this would cause the chocolate to "seize" and not be useable.
  2. I couldn't find baking cocoa and substituted Milo.  Just as good.
  3. If baking brownies for the first time, watch it carefully.  It is very easy to overbake.  Overbaked brownies become cakey.

No comments:

Post a Comment